Tag Archives: maintaining

SC 2012 SP1 UR2

12 Apr

 

Hi ,

It isn’t any new news , since I twitted also 2 days ago the UR2 release of System Center 2012 SP1 is released.  ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2802159 )

As I write now not all software download links are working jet. So don’t get frustrated as I did…

For Installation experience see here for again an excellent post from Kevin Holman:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2013/04/11/applying-update-rollup-2-ur2-to-opsmgr-2012-sp1.aspx

O wait what’s missing ?:

If you read the release notes you will notice that it mentions patching the Gateways but if you look at the software downloads you won’t see any gateway patch.

I don’t know if the gateway patch is simply forgotten to publish but if you have a environment that uses a gateway you will be stuck for now… because your agents behind the gateway will not be patched using the pending actions in SCOM.

Or not…

The solution is however not far away.
1) Just copy the Agents msp binarys to the agent management directory on the GW servers.

Path : C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager\Gateway\AgentManagement

image

1) So copy file KB2826664-AMD64-Agent.msp to

C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager\Gateway\AgentManagement\amd64

2) copy file KB2826664-AMD64-Server.msp to

C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager\Gateway\AgentManagement\x86

And at last the KB2826664-ia64-Agent.msp file to the ia64 directory.

3) approve the pending actions in your scom console. And you will see the agents behind your GW will be patched.

The end

Hope Microsoft will clear this confusion soon. Because I can’t imagine that the GW it self’s doesn’t have any fixes…

Happy scomming

Michel

Aggrr missis SCOM sometimes you drive me nuts!

12 Mar

Here we are again. I am for sure you will remember a situation where you were sure everything was configured correctly and you even had restarted the server but still it doesn’t work…… NO ??

Okay so this time it was my turn…

The problem:

I was trying to discover a new network device. Network discovery won’t find my newly added network device. Why ? I checked everything and it isn’t connectivity or security. Normally when those issue apply you will see a pending failure discovery attempt. What could be wrong..

Analyze:

1) First I checked the discovery rule. The network devices are explicit specified.

image

I made sure the device was listed in the explicit discovery.

image

2) I started the discovery and checked the progress events.

image

Hey what’s that ! One device excluded ?? Strange this option can only be applied to recursive discovery’s….

So it must be something in the discovery rule….

The solution:

So this excluded event triggered my attention.

1) open the discovery rule.  And change the Discovery method to Recursive discovery

image

2) Now select the Exclude Filters tab

image

And what do we see here . The network device I was trying to discover.

3) Now remove this exclude filter entry and save the discovery template without RUNNING IT

image

4) Reopen the discovery rule and change the discovery mode back to ‘explicit’ and save it again.

image

5) now run the discovery.

6) and what do we see here … the device is discovered successfully !

image

Conclusion

It looks like this rule was initially created in recursive discovery mode. After a while the operator decided to remove a device from the discovered device inventory. If you do that a exclude filter entry is automatically created. At the end the operator decided to change the discovery mode back to explicit (don’t ask why) and that’s causing the problem I faced…

The end

Hope I saved you a lot of time almost hating misses SCOM ; – )

Happy SCOMMING

Michel Kamp MVP System Center Operations Manager