Archive | Network RSS feed for this section

Extending HP network devices with CPU and Memory counters

25 May

Hi,

This blog I had prepared a long time ago but never published it. So now it’s the time to do it.  Since we all know that SCOM 2012 has build in network device monitoring we of course want to use it. This works perfectly , except I you are using devices that are not certified by SCOM. In that case you will not get the CPU and memory counter and Fan/PSU states. For example most of the Procurve network devices from HP are left in the dark. So..

The problem

We want to monitor also CPU and Memory usages from HP network devices.

The solution

I will keep it simple and clear. I will demonstrate the steps using VSAE and give you as bonus the MP at the end. I will use VSAE management pack templates just to illustrate the power of it.

The steps will be:

1. [Classes] create the memory and CPU classes

We just simple make use of on the memory and processor classes that are already present in the system center network library. So we create 2 classes based on that:

image

 

2. [Datasources] create the memory and CPU discovery datasources

Now we have to create the datasources for the discovery of the CPU and memory targets

image

The most important is that you set the device key correctly to the parent node. Otherwise the relationship between the new CPU / memory class and the network device node will not be set. And you will not see any CPU / Memory targets. This can sometime be a ‘error and retry’ process.

3. [Discovery’s] create discovery’s for the CPU and Memory targets

Now we have the discovery datasource we can create the 2 discovery rules for the CPU and Memory targets. We will use the VSAE discovery templates for this. Just simple add new ‘Discovery’ template and you add the 2 rules below.

image

Create the 2 new discovery’s and specify the correct datasources.

image

You specify the datasources we created above to the correct discovery rule. Fill in the correct OID to match the HP processor and Memory OIDs.

image

If you now import the MP will will see at a HP node the CPU and Memory classes created. So continue the the next step.

4) [Rules] create the memory and CPU collection rules

So now we can make the stuff we wanted to see. The Memory and CPU counters. So we just simple use the add new item ‘Rule (Performance Collection)’ template and make the 2 new rules. We are going to use the already build in performance collection rules for the network nodes.

image

image 

The most important is to specify the correct OID for the Memory and CPU counters at the datasource configuration. See below:

CPU: .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0
Memory: .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.1.2.2.1.1.7 and .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.1.2.2.1.1.5

I am not going to do a deep dive on this. You can just simple reference to the downloadable project source at the end of this post to check the details out.

The results

Now you import the MP and you will see you most wanted performance counters !! Open the Network Summary Dashboards and Node dashboard for the CPU Usage to check it out.

SNAGHTML126f4134

And the ‘free Memory (Percent)’ performance view for the memory usage.

image 

And below the relation ship diagram.

image

The End

The next step could be to add monitors to alert on high Memory or CU usages. I am not going to give you this bonus because its better to get some VSAE practice you self’s… You can do this the same way you did with the collection rules. There is a template for monitors also.

Download VSAE project (for the diehards): http://sdrv.ms/11mkq9j

Download Management Pack example: http://sdrv.ms/11mku8S

Happy Scomming

Michel Kamp

Advertisements

Aggrr missis SCOM sometimes you drive me nuts!

12 Mar

Here we are again. I am for sure you will remember a situation where you were sure everything was configured correctly and you even had restarted the server but still it doesn’t work…… NO ??

Okay so this time it was my turn…

The problem:

I was trying to discover a new network device. Network discovery won’t find my newly added network device. Why ? I checked everything and it isn’t connectivity or security. Normally when those issue apply you will see a pending failure discovery attempt. What could be wrong..

Analyze:

1) First I checked the discovery rule. The network devices are explicit specified.

image

I made sure the device was listed in the explicit discovery.

image

2) I started the discovery and checked the progress events.

image

Hey what’s that ! One device excluded ?? Strange this option can only be applied to recursive discovery’s….

So it must be something in the discovery rule….

The solution:

So this excluded event triggered my attention.

1) open the discovery rule.  And change the Discovery method to Recursive discovery

image

2) Now select the Exclude Filters tab

image

And what do we see here . The network device I was trying to discover.

3) Now remove this exclude filter entry and save the discovery template without RUNNING IT

image

4) Reopen the discovery rule and change the discovery mode back to ‘explicit’ and save it again.

image

5) now run the discovery.

6) and what do we see here … the device is discovered successfully !

image

Conclusion

It looks like this rule was initially created in recursive discovery mode. After a while the operator decided to remove a device from the discovered device inventory. If you do that a exclude filter entry is automatically created. At the end the operator decided to change the discovery mode back to explicit (don’t ask why) and that’s causing the problem I faced…

The end

Hope I saved you a lot of time almost hating misses SCOM ; – )

Happy SCOMMING

Michel Kamp MVP System Center Operations Manager