Here we are again. I am for sure you will remember a situation where you were sure everything was configured correctly and you even had restarted the server but still it doesn’t work…… NO ??
Okay so this time it was my turn…
I was trying to discover a new network device. Network discovery won’t find my newly added network device. Why ? I checked everything and it isn’t connectivity or security. Normally when those issue apply you will see a pending failure discovery attempt. What could be wrong..
1) First I checked the discovery rule. The network devices are explicit specified.
I made sure the device was listed in the explicit discovery.
2) I started the discovery and checked the progress events.
Hey what’s that ! One device excluded ?? Strange this option can only be applied to recursive discovery’s….
So it must be something in the discovery rule….
So this excluded event triggered my attention.
1) open the discovery rule. And change the Discovery method to Recursive discovery
2) Now select the Exclude Filters tab
And what do we see here . The network device I was trying to discover.
3) Now remove this exclude filter entry and save the discovery template without RUNNING IT
4) Reopen the discovery rule and change the discovery mode back to ‘explicit’ and save it again.
5) now run the discovery.
6) and what do we see here … the device is discovered successfully !
It looks like this rule was initially created in recursive discovery mode. After a while the operator decided to remove a device from the discovered device inventory. If you do that a exclude filter entry is automatically created. At the end the operator decided to change the discovery mode back to explicit (don’t ask why) and that’s causing the problem I faced…
Hope I saved you a lot of time almost hating misses SCOM ; – )
Michel Kamp MVP System Center Operations Manager